Army National Guard Units (Title 32) MATERIALS EXAMINER AND IDENTIFIER in Montgomery, Alabama
This National Guard position is for a MATERIALS EXAMINER AND IDENTIFIER, Position Description Number D1902and is part of the AL USPFO SS Division Material Mgmt Br, National Guard.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
ALABAMA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Alabama Army National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Army National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the Alabama Army National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
These positions are located in the United States Property and Fiscal Office (USPFO). The purpose of this position is to identify, examine and classify materiel and equipment and make final determinations on acceptance and disposition of standardized and complex equipment and materiel using shipping documents, contracts, catalogs, drawings, and related documents.
EXCEPTED POSITION: Alabama Army National Guard membership required. POSITION STATUS: MERIT LOCATION: USPFO, MONTGOMERY, AL SELECTING OFFICIAL: MR. S. HAMMDONDS
Learn more about this agency
AREA OF CONSIDERATION FOR ALABAMA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD POSITION: AREA 1: All permanent Alabama Army National Guard civilian excepted technicians currently employed.
As a MATERIALS EXAMINER AND IDENTIFIER, WG-6912-7, you will perform the following duties:
(1) Performs the full range of examining and identifying duties for the most complex categories of materiel and equipment, including electronic, mechanical, perishable, radioactive, and assemblies and components. Inspects, receives, sorts, counts, identifies, and is knowledgeable of special handling techniques and procedures required for the processing of hazardous and toxic materiel such as explosives, toxic chemicals, flammables, gas cylinders, radioactive material, hazardous waste and medical waste. Examine clothing, textiles, requiring sensory judgment as well as subjective measurement. (2) Receives or rejects materiel, equipment, including non-standard equipment, and complex assemblies for the facility based on their knowledge of products, equipment, and procedures as well as having the ability to determine subtle and inconspicuous defects. May be required to perform pre-receipt examination of property on site at the generation point. Schedules the receipt of property and assures that the property is identified to include identification of all contaminants. Handles damaged and unidentified shipments requiring repair/repacking or return to the supplier in accordance with established procedures. As appropriate, performs or initiates required testing, e.g. radioactive surveys/wipe tests, prepares sample for submission to environmental laboratories for analysis. (3) Determines acceptance, serviceability and distribution requirements for perishable, classified, precious metals, textiles, clothing, complex electronic/mechanical equipment, assemblies and components. Uses catalog data/drawings, item specifications, or computerized data to verify/determine/classify items for turn-in, storage or distribution. Performs extensive research on equipment specifications using automated systems, technical manuals and supply bulletins to determine any special requirements for complex items passing through the storage and distribution area. (4) Packs, cushions, apply preservatives and protect property as appropriate; ensures packaging meets regulatory requirements. (5) May serve as a member of the USPFO Emergency Response Team. Ensures the required actions are taken to contain and clean up spills within assigned work area. Ensures lower graded workers are trained to act in his/her absence. Decontaminates and replenishes spill equipment and supplies within assigned work area. Ensures spill incident reports are prepared IAW applicable regulations. (6) Assures adherence to storage compatibility and determines the need for special handling/storage of certain property (e.g. friable asbestos, PCB?s, batteries, pesticides, etc.). Performs research of complex shipping and storage records, and commercial vendor contracts. Obtains Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) using the automated system for material identification and advises lower graded workers on specialized handling and packaging procedures. Initiates corrective action to resolve manifest discrepancies. (7) Performs a full range of warehousing activities to include receiving, inspecting for defects, storing, selecting and shipping general or specialized bulk and bin materials and equipment. Develops, or assists in the development of plans for storage and arrangement of stock. Determines warehouse configuration, setup, movement, and space utilization plans, as regards to hazardous materiel, in accordance with regulations for a specific commodity or equipment group. (8) May be required to prepare for and support the mission through the accomplishment of duties pertaining to military training, military readiness, force protection and other mission related assignments including, but not limited to, training of traditional Guard members, CWDE/NBC training, exercise participation (ORE/ORI/UCI/MEI/OCI/IG, etc.), mobility exercise participation, FSTA/ATSO exercise participation, SABC training, LOAC training, weapons qualification training, participation in military formations, and medical mobility processing within the guidelines of NGB/ARNG/ANG/State/TAG rules, regulations and laws. (9) Accomplishes the full spectrum of support for state and Federal National Guard operations, training, readiness missions, natural disasters, and Homeland Defense/Defense Support of Civil Authorities (HLD/DSCA). (10) Performs other related duties as required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
6912 Materials Examining And Identifying
Conditions of Employment
- National Guard Membership is required.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Alabama Army National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Army National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Alabama Army National Guard recruiter at 800-464-8273 prior to applying for this position. Military Requirements: Military skill set is determined by MOS requirements. Upon selection, individuals must be assigned to a compatible military MOS in accordance with statutes and National Guard Bureau regulations and must obtain/maintain all requirements of the MOS. Specific requirements are found in: references listed below, NGB Compatibility tables and your local Personnel section. Military Grade:Only applicants within the military grade listed below will be considered. Maximum Military Rank: SFC Individuals exceeding the maximum military grade are required to submit a letter along with resume agreeing to a military demotion if selected. This Statement of Understanding is required for basic qualification. Compatible Military Assignments: ECMF: 91; EMOS: 13B, 13Z, 25B, 36B, 51C, 88M, 88N, 89A, 89B, 92A, 92F, 92Y *Other Requirements: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Each applicant must fully substantiate (in his/her own words) that he/she meets the requirements of the Specialized Experience listed below: Otherwise, the applicant will be considered unqualified for this position. DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training which demonstrates the ability to distinguish between closely related or similar items, ability to follow procedures, ability to sort materials by type, and skill in the use of hand tools.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE*:* Must possess at least 12 months in the following tasks:Experience or training identifying and sorting a variety of complex materials and equipment. Experience receiving materials and equipment, recording, and placing items in proper storage areas. Experience preparing all items for shipment using appropriate agency instructions. Experience in mathematical equations. Experience interpreting and using Federal Supply Catalogs, military and manufacturing catalogs, and technical and agency manuals. Experience using and operating forklifts and motor vehicles.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of the techniques used in the examination and classification of standard/non standard, unusual, highly specialized items.
Through knowledge of special handling techniques and procedures for handling hazardous and toxic materials, precious metals, and other sensitive items.
Skill and knowledge of techniques and equipment used to determine serviceability of items received into and disposal of unserviceable items.
Skill and knowledge of technical specifications, vendor contracts regarding receipt and returning an item to a vendor when improperly sent, or refer material to quality assurance or maintenance personnel due to an observed defect. Able to use technical specifications and vendor numbers, and functional operation of items received and shipped against accompanying documents.
Knowledge to assess independently the condition of highly specialized and complex materiel and equipment in order to determine proper disposition.
Knowledge and skill to conduct comprehensive searches of manufacturers catalogues, tech orders, schematics and computerized data to identify unique and specialized items or those which lack proper identification of documentation.
Knowledgeable of special handling techniques and procedures required for the processing of hazardous and toxic materiel.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION IS NOT CONSIDERED FOR WAGE GRADE POSITIONS.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND/FAX/COURIER/EMAIL ANY APPLICATIONS OR RESUMES TO THE ALABAMA NATIONAL GUARD HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE. The Human Resources Office can only process materials received through USA Jobs.Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Knowledge of Materials
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes: 1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed. 2. Other supporting documents: * SF-50 and DD214s are recommended, but not required.*
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
Your resume must have complete information: Please ensure your resume accurately reflects the duties and responsibilities under each position you have held with each employer. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. It is your responsibility to make sure your resume states complete information for each job entry (beginning and ending dates of employment stated as MM/YY). If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package may be rendered disqualified and you will not be considered for this position. To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documentsto be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AL USPFO SS Division Material Mgmt Br 1740 Congressman Dickinson Dr Montgomery, AL US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office at OPM
- Office of Equal Opportunity
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/481720200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/12/2017 to 11/02/2017
Salary: $17.06 to $19.88 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 7
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent - Merit